IMAP is the latest technology for syncing up all your devises – we recommend IMAP over the older POP technology!
When checking your email with an IMAP connection, you are accessing and managing your email directly from the email server. Some the features included are below:
- Access – Since the emails are stored on the email server, you can access and manage your email and email folders from multiple computers or mobile devices from anywhere.
- Storage – Can be incresed or scaled up at anytime! Unlike limited storage space that forces you to delete some emails periodically to avoid exceeding your storage capacity.
- Backup – Email is automatically backed up every evening; so, if you accidentally delete an email, WebSmith can retrieve it, even up to 14 days later.
- Internet Connection – And Internet connection is required to receive and send.
** Additional charges may apply.
Note: By default, email clients store your sent, draft, and trash email on your computer, rather than storing it on the email server (as it should with an IMAP connection). You may need to map your email folders within your email client.
When you check your email with a POP connection, new email messages are downloaded to your computer and are then deleted from the email server. Some the features included are below:
- Access – Since your email is stored on your computer, you must be at your computer to access your email.
- Storage – Since you’re downloading your emails to your computer, you are limited to how many emails as your computer can store shared among other items.
- Backup – You should implement an effective backup system for your computer, in case you need to retrieve lost or deleted emails.
- Internet Connection – You will need an Internet connection to download email, but you can view your downloaded email offline (i.e., without an Internet connection).